Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I AM SOCIAL AND THIS IS RUBBISH

I haven't made a friend at work yet! NO. This is NOT HAPPENING. Okay. I will update this entry in a bit. Gonna wash up now.

Added @ 9:07PM:

I am feeling quite exhausted now. Can't quite get the sleep timing right yet...almost couldn't wake up this morning. This is only my 2nd day at work and I'm feeling very 彷徨。I hardly made any friends. It's not that I don't want to...but the office is usually very quiet- like really quiet. I feels strange to be talking at all. Oh, because I am working with the IT people, as expected, the guys outnumber the girls. There are maybe only 5 girls vs. 15 guys working in the office. The Swiss? There are 2 very cute ones. Very handsome. One of them is the boss, I think. VERY GOOD-LOOKING! Tall, dark and handsome. Hahaha. I only met him once during a meeting. The other Swiss guy has the typical Caucasian kinda look. The other Swiss men are average looking. Some look geeky while others with the typical Caucasian old men look. I don't know, thinking of Swiss reminds me of Roger Federer. Haha. Yeah. There are some people from the Philippines, others from Hong Kong. I don't even know who are the local ones from the IT dept.

I'm really floating around now. It is a little difficult mingling and asking for help, with regards to company matters, 'cos the people involved in this project are mostly hired from abroad and have no idea how the company works. I had to send some internal mails out but didn't know how to do it. I had NO formal introduction to the company, if you remember. Yesterday was a mess. I did find out more from the HR person tho'. She is hired on contract too and has been working in this company for 1 year+, but somehow the company isn't hiring her as a permanent worker even tho' her contract keeps getting renewed. She told me she is looking out for another job outside. LOL. Okay. Yeah. I wonder why she hasn't been converted to a permanent employee. Is it due to cost or what? I don't know. I understand what she is going through lah. It's very sickening to keep having your contract renewed but not have the kind of benefits only permanent employers enjoy.

I still can't quite get a feel on the company culture 'cos whatever culture I am immense in now is not an accurate picture of the actual culture. These people I work with don't even belong to the company. They are hired from abroad for this project. After this project ends, they'll be moving on. I really like the Swiss tho'. Westerners are usually more polite and appreciative of your work. Ms S has been really cool. Haha. She told me straight that I could listen to my MP3 player while I work if I want. "Please" and "Thank You" are always found in her sentences. In a sense, I feel they are more cultured? I don't want to act like a silly Asian with an inferiority complex, always seeing the Westerners as better, but truth is I really think Westerners usually make better bosses.

I really don't know where I am heading to so there is a feeling of 'lost-ness'. It is difficult to say what the future holds lah. I'm not even halfway through my first week. There are a few things I can give thanks for 'tho. Right now, my work load is quite light. I'm only doing excel stuff and some random administrative duties. I knocked off at 5:30PM the past 2 days. This is so much better than if I had worked in some other banks (e.g. local X bank) doing a massive load of brainless work and collected only an hourly pay. For the kind of work I'm doing now...the pay I'm getting is considered pretty decent. Another thing to give thanks for: the clean toilet. Haha. I've worked in companies with crappy and smelly toilets shared by many many many people. For this company's toilet, there is instrumental music playing in the background ok, so while doing my toilet business, I'll feel very high class. HAHA. The toilet's a little small lah...but okay lo. The pantry is small also but the workers are few so it makes sense.

Haha. I did something very paiseh today. I'm a social person, I am very sure. I enjoy my time alone but I enjoy being with people too. I actually need good company at work 'cos I think having good colleagues and bosses really make work a lot more enjoyable. Oh yes, the paiseh thing. I emailed someone from the IT dept to ask if he was the person sitting behind me. I really couldn't remember the dude's name, if he was ever introduced to me. Turned out...I got the wrong guy. The guy I emailed was working on another floor. Don't know who he is also. HAHAHA. Hilarious. I don't care also lah. Heck man. I can sound like a lame shit and I won't even care. I shall ask the dude seated behind me what his name is tomorrow. I WILL. Even if I have to talk in the silence. I have to at least make a friend from this company. This is unacceptable, by my standards. If I don't know more people, how will I ever find out how this company operates? MUST NETWORK! AH. I'm working towards that. Things will get better lah, I believe.

I'm going to bed now. My body clock needs some adjusting...

No comments:

Post a Comment