Thursday, October 15, 2009

Aggression

Everyone has the ability to be aggressive, this I believe. Passivity is no longer an option for me. Yesterday I talked to the lady who sits diagonally behind me and found out the name of the guy who sits behind me, along with a few other people who works around my area. She's friendly lah...but from the initial feeling, I doubt we'll become very good friends but colleagues, should be no problem. I found out that NO ONE in the room is hired directly under my company. They are all from vendor companies tasked to do this project. I was kinda disappointed after hearing that actually. I joined the company in hope to know someone working inside who could tell me more about the place and hopefully, secure a position within the company. But I perked up after attending prayer meeting that night. :)

There is even more progression today. Emailed the guy (A) who sits behind me. I sent my email right this time! HAHAHA. He's quite friendly. He was very amused when he received my email that went: "Hi, you are the one sitting behind me right? Just to make sure." He turned back and answered yes to me then went on to reply my email: "Haha. Do you always do this?" HAHA. OF COURSE NOT LAH! Is this "action" very daring? Actually I think it's ok leh. Lol. I mean, I just want to make friends lor. Am I making this sound like some office romance? Please, don't be mistaken, it's nothing like that. I can't help that 90% of the people in office are males right. The friends I'll make will either be male or female and the probability I'll make a male one is very high. I'm not like I'm interested in dating him or anything. He just seemed really smiley and chatty and most importantly, he's Singaporean! :) Can talk Singlish!

He shared with me a lot of USEFUL information. I was very pro-active in asking also lah. LOL. I was right. The people who were inside the meeting room on Monday were all big shots, at least of managerial level. He gave me names to their faces. I can't remember the last face...but the other 3 ladies, I remember them well. He told me it would do me well to get to know them better, if possible. Hahaha. He let on that he has a cousin working within the company, on a 6 month contract. He was the one who got her the job. Apparently he knows the manager. I asked him to introduce his cousin to me 'cos I want to find out more about the ops dept. He will be introducing us soon.

Anyway he and another guy invited me to go "lim kopi" with them after that. Haha. I had nothing to do then 'cos I hadn't gotten my shared folder access, so I went along with them. The other guy is called M. Haha. Funny guy. Actually everyone in the room is much older than I am. A is 30 this year. M is...probably in his 40s? M is a really funny guy. Lol. More on that later. A actually thought I'm older than my actual age. Oh no. Does that mean I LOOK old? He said he thought I had been working for some time already and was quite surprised that I am so young. Hopefully I appear older because of the way I carry myself and not how my face looks. A bit sad man. Gotta do more facials and apply more masks. M said I could be a spy hired by the company to go check on them. Hahhaa. He was kidding lah. If I'm supposed to do spying...well, I don't know anything about it. I don't even know why I was hired. Maybe things will become clearer when my boss comes back from his leave next week. They shared with me a lot of stuff about the people in the room- a mixed bag comprising of 4 different companies.

Emailed the HR lady also and fixed lunch with her sometime next week. Haha. I'm getting very thick-skinned. I just emailed to ask if I could join her for lunch. Like that lor. She told me on my 2nd day that she knew practically everyone in the office...all the more I must get to know her better right. Met her in the toilet (again- coincidentally) earlier. She was really nice and asked how were the people I'm working with. She was worried that I was unhappy working with them. Aww. I thought that was nice of her.

Actually right now...I just want to get to know more people and build my interpersonal skills. Whether I eventually join this company is another issue. My most important goal is to build my network of friends. Even if I don't join the company after the contract ends, at least I leave gaining new friends. My most valuable takeaway from my previous temp assignments are the friends I've made. I'm still in contact with most of them. They are somewhere in my facebook or msn list or phone list. Yeah, I gotta make this 5 months a worthy 5 months!

Honestly I don't know why am I even looking to work in the financial industry. Of 'cos the thing I'd usually say is that the financial industry is all about the money and there is a lot of money to be made. However, that is just a convenient reason. I know myself too well, I would rather earn less than to be very unhappy doing my job. Who doesn't want more money? I would definitely love to have more money! But essentially, that is not the most important thing in my search for a job. Actually the main reason I've been looking at financial institutes is not because I love figures...but because that is all I know. Somehow most of my temp assignments in the past were all finance companies. I didn't ask or apply for any of them but somehow I landed those jobs. I would love to have a wider view of the possibilities out there...but I don't know much. My world view is still quite narrow. & now as I'm finding out, even within the financial industry, there are a million and one different kinds of jobs. Too many choices...too many possibilities. This is too much for me. I'm letting God guide me and I prayed very hard before this and believe that taking up this contract job is what God wants for me (could have taken the better paying perm job in the insurance company...but didn't). I don't know the purpose of this or what this will lead to but I want to make the best of what is given to me now. Yeah.

I'm very thankful the people I'm working with are nice and kind. :) Had a chat with my cell-leader before prayer meeting yesterday. She works around the Raffles Place area too so yeah, we met to go for prayer meeting. I thought the stuff she shared about her work life was very useful and encouraging. She has been through more and knows more...so well, there is a lot I can learn from her. Yup.

It's gonna be Fri tomorrow. Yay! TGIF! :) :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment