Thursday, October 8, 2009

Firing ahead

I'm starting work this coming Monday! I signed the contract yesterday. My employer is the bank itself and not the job agency, surprisingly. I thought my employer would surely be the job agency. This could be a good thing...if I am gonna work in this bank for long-term. I'm already registered as an employee of the company, albeit a temporary one for now. The terms are pretty 'harsh', according to my friend with zero benefits given. Oh well. I agree but seriously, I'm not expecting much benefits from a temp job. It is only temp and it is only basic admin duties. I really don't know where to go so when this job opened up, I decided to take it. I've been praying very hard over this issue and so whichever path opens up for me, I will go down that road. It is very difficult to map up my future so I'm going to wherever I'm led. After all, this bank is quite a big player in the financial industry and is currently in the midst of expansion and there is much I can learn from working inside. Another reason that made me wanna work for this company: the boss I'll be working for aka the man who interviewed me. He left a really favourable impression on me.

I really shouldn't be fretting about something that will only happen 5 months down the road but I am. This has to stop! I think/worry too far ahead. Overall, my mood is excited and I am looking forward to starting work. I'm going back to my economics and finance roots. More economics (only took 1 finance module in uni)...but I'm reading up on finance. Should I work in the derivatives dept? Deal with bonds, options and swaps? Forex? Settlements? Compliance? Or something more middle office? Corporate or retail sector? The banking industry is HUGE. There are also tonnes of basic admin jobs, like the one I am doing, but I don't want this as a long-term job. So where? Assuming I want to develop my career in banking and finance lah. I shouldn't be stressing myself over this now. I'll know when I know! 5 months later, I'll become a better me. :)

On another topic, I get really amused whenever my cell-leader asks, "Any violent objections?" Why does she have to add 'violent' in front of objections? Is it intentional? It's quite funny. Haha. & no, I have no 'violent objections' so far. We were given a piece of cell evaluation paper to do, which will require quite an amount of brain matter from me. I am not used to doing such things...but I understand the rationale behind this. It is good to have some structure and discipline in cell so that we can sort of 'measure' our improvement when we look back on our forms in the future.

Yep. I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment