Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Another chapter

Okay. Went for my 2nd interview with this foreign bank, a French one (not that difficult to guess 'cos there are few (or only 1?) French banks in Singapore). Got the job. :) I'm happy of 'cos I need a job but after talking on the phone with my cell-leader, I realised that I could have asked for more salary (it's not pathetically bad like my previous job). I felt soooo bad after that 'cos I feel like I've made a poor decision, like I've short-changed myself. :( It could be a confidence thing, the lack of it. I need to learn how to aim higher, to believe in my own abilities. This is a process, I suppose. I admire people who can make decisions very swiftly and hold on to their decisions firmly. At least they know what they want and even when they make mistakes, they don't waste time regretting. They just move on from there and achieve great things. Such people are amazing. I know I have the tendency to be quite hard on myself...so I'm really learning how to treat myself better (in a sense).

Anyway, cell-leader will teach me how to "push the envelope", in her words so I don't have to keep taking the long route. It's important that I steer my boat back in the right direction. She was just giving me some good advice lor...but I couldn't help but feel that I've made another stupid decision. I tend to take things pretty hard when I feel I haven't done up to my expectations and...I don't know. Cell-leader said that knowing how to deal with such situations come with experience. Hmm. I'll get over this. To view this positively, I will be doing more than simple administrative work (so I'm actually gaining real solid experience from this role) and in 6 months, I'll be able to negotiate for better terms again (whether in this company or another company). This is a good company- a very solid company, in fact. It is one of the few banks not heavily affected by the financial meltdown.

I am pretty sure that this job function is what I want to do in the long term- as least to try to develop my career in this aspect 'cos I think there is room for growth (for this area of work) within the financial sector. This is a compliance job. Seems to suit me 'cos it deals more with words, rather than figures, and I'm more of a words person. Yeah. & after the financial crisis, compliance will only play an even bigger role within banks lor. That's MY analysis lah. I don't really know. Who knows the future right, except God.

& yes, I will still be working @ Raffles Place so lunch khakis, we can meet for lunch again! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment