I just found out that her maternal grandma passed away the night before. It could explain why she flopped in her match. :(
==
Bought some stuff from the newly-opened NTUC located right outside Hougang Mall. It's ridiculous how there are 2 NTUC outlets located SO CLOSE to each other, only 100 steps apart. One within the mall and one outside the mall, but basically located in the same area. Yes, there are now officially 2 NTUCs in Hougang Central, together with three Kopitiams (two of which are 24-hrs), two private coffeeshops, three convenience stores and one 24-hr Save 'n' Save. We actually asked those working in the new NTUC whether the old NTUC within Hougang Mall would be shut down and their replies were either "don't know" or "no". I think the old NTUC will be sticking around, at least for now. There is absolutely no indication of its shutting down anytime soon. But seriously speaking, why in the world do we need 2 NTUCs? Why can't a Giant or Sheng Siong open there instead? My mum's theory is that the new building has already allocated space for a supermarket and because NTUC is kiasu, they don't want a competitor opening an outlet so close to their own so they chose to build another outlet, even if it is only 100 steps away (abt a 1-min walk) from their current one. According to my mum, the Hougang NTUC Xtra (@ Hougang Ave 9, Festival Market) was supposed to be Giant Supermarket but NTUC didn't want competition so they bought the space and built their very first "Xtra" concept store. Don't know how true but fact is, there are many many many NTUCs in Hougang. Yah lah, Hougang is a very big estate (if I'm not wrong, it is one of the larger housing estates in Singapore, in terms of land area) with 2 MRT stations (Kovan is technically also Hougang. Hougang South, to be precise) serving its people.
Good lah. I'm not complaining. I'm just curious to find out the reason behind NTUC's decision to build another outlet so near to their current one. Does it make economic sense? I'm not sure man. The new NTUC has 2 storeys...and is slightly bigger. Both outlets sell basically the same stuff so I find it kind of lame. I want a Sheng Siong! I read a rumour that NTUC doesn't want to let go of the old NTUC 'cos they don't want Sheng Siong to snatch their business. Means what. Sheng Siong is interested? COME set up store here please! Haha. The old NTUC has to pay rent to the mall management, I think, but even then they refuse to give up their space. Why like that ah. I want competition! Haha.
The new 24-hr Kopitiam foodcourt is interesting lah but I find that the Kopitiam chain doesn't sell very tasty food. The normal, private coffeeshops sell better tasting food, usually. The better tasting food in the area is found in Kovan! I am a fan of Kovan Hawker Centre and the food sold along Upper Serangoon Road. There is this fruit juice store that I visit when I'm at Kovan Hawker Centre. They sell delicious fruits concoctions with various health benefits. I like their milk avacado juice that enhances beauty and their si gua (not xi gua) juice that reduces heatiness. So nice lah. Yummy. Drink and feel healthy. Lol. My mum says that Hougang people sleep late, that's why there are so many 24-hr stores here. Really meh?
I really like the location of my place 'cos I find Hougang very convenient. Yeah many buses that travel all around Singapore, the NEL that travels quite quickly, food stalls found everywhere. Less crowded compared to other high human traffic flow like AMK and Tampines. I find these 2 places VERY VERY crowded. Anytime of the day, you'll see a sea of people walking around. Maybe 'cos Hougang belongs to Opposition so few want to move here. Haha. But fun leh, we get to vote during election every time. Haha. My fondness for Hougang is apparent. I've been staying in this estate since birth lo. I like. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment