Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Interview

Returned home not too long ago from a 3-mth contract job interview. Now short-term contract jobs also need to go for interview. It's tough to find a job lor. The interview went well. The interviewers were really kind and friendly to me. One of them asked me how was my Mandarin (I may need it when speaking to clients) because she thought my English sounded quite fluent. I think she thought I was from an English-speaking family 'cos I wrote in my application form that my sister works as a journalist. Haha. My sister's English is powerful, true, but my English is nowhere near her standard. Okay lah, my English, not bad. My grammar a little shaky but overall still passable. I told the lady I am comfortable speaking Mandarin 'cos I come from a Chinese-speaking family. My parents understand English and speak to me in English also but my mum usually speaks in Mandarin at home. It's weird tho' 'cos I hardly speak Mandarin outside and get tongue-tied when I have to converse in Mandarin. It could be because I am not used lor.

My Chinese/ Mandarin was shit in the past. It only improved after I started watching Jdramas with Chinese subtitles. LOL. Then, there were few Jdramas with English subs and since I obviously couldn't read and understand Japanese, Chinese subs was the only way I could watch Jdramas. FYI, Japanese drama boxsets only come in Japanese audio, meaning there is no Mandarin dub option. Bo pian. That was how my Chinese improved, by watching Jdramas. HAHAHA. I watched a lot of TVB dramas also. All very helpful lah. Actually I am very thankful that I was exposed to Chinese/ Mandarin since young. Chinese is a very useful language to pick up. It's cool to be "cheena" yo. :)

After leaving the interview venue, some girl approached me and started preaching to me about God and how God is also female, therefore we should believe in "God the Mother". I've heard of this sort of debate lah. Like why is God always referred to as a masculine figure. The girl told me that I have to believe in God the Mother to receive eternal life (and she quoted from Revelations) and I was like..."ehh" Seriously, does it matter whether God is "male" or "female" or "sexless". God is God, period. As long we believe in Jesus, we receive eternal life. This is the fundamental truth. Revelations is a very very chim book that many religious teachers don't even fully understand so by lifting certain verses from this book is a little unconvincing. I don't believe we have to see God as "Mother" in order to receive eternal salvation. I'm not going say that the girl was spreading some cult belief but I do think there are more important things to do than to debate on whether God is male or female or formless.

I am going for another contract interview tomorrow so need to prepare a bit. Ending this post here!

Oh yeah, before I go. I met the Prudential lady who spoke to me the other day while I was waiting for my friend to arrive @ AMK station. I helped her fill up some survey form. So coincidental. I'm surprised she could recognise me 'cos I looked quite different today, with contacts & make-up on. Not bad. She remembers faces. I'm talk to random people now! Lol. Nah. She approached me first lah but I actually stood there to chat with her for at least 10 mins. She graduated from poly, worked for 2 years already and was doing the survey thing to amass contacts. I actually remember what she shared lo. It's like we're friends already. When did I become so friendly ah. HAHA.

No comments:

Post a Comment