I heard this year's NDP song for the first time today in church and I really like it! It's probably one of the better NDP songs in recent years, imo. Today's sermon was on giving and about compassion. This is an area I know I can do much better in. I happen to be one of those people who can easily reduce people into items in the landscape. Indifference- I am familiar with this word. It is even colder than hate and I should know this 'cos I've long come to the conclusion that I won't hate anyone. Not that I am a saint who is above all but I've discovered that no one is worth my hate. Hating takes too much out of me. Anyway, I don't dislike anyone enough to hate him or her. The most I'd do is walk away and steer clear from that person. Just don't associate with him/her lor. Indifferent lor. Do I care about his/her life or death? No. What about the random person on street. Do I care about his or her life? Frankly speaking? The hardened heart within me would say no. Terrible right. I know.
I've been very self-centred. I am not totally selfish but I'm not selfless (yet). The pastor is right to say that when you give, you don't question the recipient's motives 'cos that is not up to us. Even if we know the other party is just taking advantage of our kindness, we still should be kind 'cos that is all we are supposed to do. We are called to be kind to our neighbours. This is a very mind-boggling commandment 'cos we are so used to engaging in cost-benefit analysis in a competitive world. Yeah. I understand lah just that sometimes I feel it is easier to walk away. Why get entangled with the troubles of others? Very messy. Only this mess is necessary if we are to walk the Christian life, the Jesus way. I struggle, still. I'm willing to work to improve on this area though. At least it is a start. Okay, I have to make a greater effort to be kind to the people I know around me first.
Yep, so...what a nice NDP song. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment