Sunday, January 17, 2010

Stomach acheeee

I have diarrhoea. :(

Recently I've been seeing my cell-leader a lot, like for different church events...and I realised something. There is a generation gap between us. I don't know her exact age, and I didn't bother asking either, but she's probably almost 20 years older than I am. Sometimes we don't understand what the other party is talking about. The kinda things we're going through is different 'cos we are in different stages of life.There are pros and cons to this huge age gap of 'cos. It is a little more difficult trying to see things from the other party's point of view, for sure. There are times when conversations become "lost in translation". Haha. However, I'm benefiting a lot from observing how she handles her conversations with others. Basically listening and observing how she speaks. She has a strong command of the English language and is able to converse in a professional manner (when the situation calls for it). She has a lot of life, as well as working, experience so she is able to advise me on some issues (if I choose to approach her lah). Having worked so many years in the marketplace, she knows the challenges and difficulties one faces in the workplace so she is understanding to sudden changes in our schedules. There is definitely more leeway given because ultimately, we are adults and responsible for our own (including spiritual) lives. Yes, the responsibility is our own.

On management issues, I can say she is quite good because she is a high C (DISC personality test) and everything is done in order. Because of this trait, she is able to express her thoughts in a very logical manner, which works for me because I am able to understand and accept better from a rational point of view.

It's quite interesting, this shift to the adult network. The shift is overall, quite helpful, because I have to learn how to interact with people from different/ older age groups. The people within the network are all working in very diverse backgrounds, which is good for networking and the accumulating of knowledge. Of 'cos it doesn't stop there lah. I'm learning a lot from these ladies who are able to juggle their crazy work schedules together with the zillion and one church events. Sometimes I wonder how come they are so zealous and enthusiastic about church. I believe the reason why they are firm in their faith is because they've gone through so much in life and experienced how God lifted them up from their lowest points in life. At least that was the case for my cell-leader, from the little she shared with us. Her downs in life sounded really jia lat...God saw her through that dark period, and her faith strengthened as a result. We are still in the the "getting to know each other better" stage although I'd say we're more comfortable engaging in conversations now.

I enjoyed my years in youth net too and I've grown in those years. :) How to say. This is a new chapter in my life and I need a lot of support for my career...which I feel the adult network can better provide for me. I'm glad I made the switch. The old me typically dislike meeting new people, or having to adapt into a new environment; but I cannot continue being the old me because the old me cannot survive in the workplace. So the shift was really a challenge for me then. Even now, sometimes, I feel it is a challenge...but hey, we grow stronger with each challenge right. :)

I don't know why I'm typing about this. I was just thinking about it...haha. Maybe that's why.

Okie, ending here.

----------------
Now playing: Don Moen - Be Praised
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment