& so I went. Haha.
I got to know a couple of people working in the bank, fellow contract employees. The 3 girls who entered on the same day with me? Yeah, I got to know them better through my colleague's cousin who works in their department. More on them later.
The ceremony...I don't remember what it is call but the Japanese do it to usher in an auspicious new year. The ceremony started with the president's speech whose English is considered quite decent for a Japanese. Blah blah blah, hit dunno what revenue, blah blah. In short, the company did pretty well last year but he expects even more in 2010. After that, some of the higher management used wooden hammers (totally cute) to hit on the lid of a wooden bucket that contains sake. After the lid broke, everyone clapped. Like woooh...auspicious new year! You know that kinda effect. Haha. Following that, we were each given a cup of (diluted) sake . I heard that last year a few dudes got drunk on sake so they diluted the alcohol this year. Lol. The sake is potent despite being diluted, btw. I felt a little woozy after drinking it. In summary, quite interesting- this ceremony. I suppose only Japanese companies do this right? I mean, is it normal for companies to hold new year receptions?
The company provided lunch also. Buffet lunch. The Hainanese Chicken Rice was quite crappy. The chicken and rice were both tasteless. The rest of the food were decent but I liked the sushi best. Sushi + loads of wasabi = the best!
Shall upload a photo of my "sake cup".
What do the Japanese characters mean? No idea. Haha. How wonderful. I have a memento from the company now. :) The cup smells REALLY GOOD. The wood is high-quality one. Heard that they flew in the cups from Japan.
I felt really brave 'cos none of my colleagues went. I'm working with the vendors, remember??? It's good that I know my colleague's cousin and the 3 other girls so I just emailed them and stuck with them throughout the ceremony. No, I don't know them well. I only ate with them once 2 weeks ago. Lol. Oh yeah, asked a bit about their work and strangely, they are NOT paid directly by the bank. They are paid via agency, meaning the agency is their employer. Could be the work duration 'cos their contract is only 3 months. Very interestingly, they initially thought that I was hired as a permanent staff (we met each other on our first day at work in the meeting room). I asked why and apparently it's because I looked like I'd been working for a few years already. Crap man, do I look that old?! :( Then she added that she thought I was gonna work as a dealer or something because I "looked smart". Wahhhh...really a not. Make me happy leh. :) Maybe she was just trying to be nice. Haha.
I really wonder what is the first impression I give others. This impression can be managed, I believe. Image matters. It does. This is coming from someone who doesn't even like shopping that much. The clothes, the hair, the make-up- they all add up to create an image and help make a, hopefully, positive impression. I'm gonna be putting a lot more effort in my dressing this year. I have a bit more cash so I'll be investing more in clothes, shoes and bags. I am going to cultivate a passion for shopping! Haha. I'll heed your advice, P. I won't be so lazy anymore! I will try clothes when I go shopping next time (related to topic below).
Ayyy, but I bought clothes yesterday! 3 tops. Very good. I am improving.
==
Shopping trip with P on 20100101, Fri
Went to shop with P @ Orchard ION. Didn't buy anything in the end...except a highlighter and yearly calendar from Kinokuniya (as mentioned in previous entry). Nevertheless, I had a good time. P lectured me on how lazy I was and that I should put in more effort in shopping. Absolutely right. I know, I know. We finally tried the popular Octopus Balls there. Pretty good. The octopus filling is HUGE.
Menu. I love the macha~
Okinoyaki? I don't remember what dish is this called!
Octo balls! Tako something!
P with her macha + ice cream
Great photo right? I know. Cute P with the fish thing. :)
Sheeze, I realised that my understanding for the Japanese culture is quite little. I don't know what their dishes are called! I only know shabu shabu, sushi and sashimi! HAHA.
Okay I'm actually very tired. I dunno what the heck am I typing. This entry is probably filled with errors but I don't care. I really want to blog about Sat's outing but I'm too tired so we'll leave that for another entry ok.
Oyasumi!
No comments:
Post a Comment