Sunday, November 22, 2009

More effort

Socialising really requires effort. Contrary to popular belief that socialisation occurs naturally, maintaining and building relationships actually require effort and time. A deliberate effort is needed for me to mingle with others. I decided that I will make that effort because human relationships are the only things that will matter in the end. To attest my statement, I am starting to use facebook more often now. Talking about facebook, my mum was slightly upset with me because I took so long to add her as friend. She complained that her own daughters were reluctant to add her while her nieces and nephews added her almost immediately. Hello, I feel so yuan wang. I only took so long because I hardly ever log on to facebook. I'm not like my cousins who are logged on to facebook 24/7 and can reply instantaneously to any post. Anyway, many of my (older) relatives are getting facebook accounts. So happening right. Maybe I should set up an account for my grandma or something. Haha.

A friend said that one way to attain success in life is to have connections. I actually agree. The more people you know, the more "skills" and "resources" you have. Friends help each other out so knowing more people will definitely do us good. Knowing is one thing...getting to know them better and then maintaining the friendship takes a lot of nurturing. My cell-leader's cell-leader thinks I'm aloof! HAHAHA. Yeah, actually she is right. I don't usually initiate conversations (altho' I'm learning to) and tend to keep to myself. My face doesn't have the "come and talk to me anytime you want" look. Often I distant myself from others also, especially from people I don't know. I know the problem partially stems from my not having a deep concern for others, which I am trying to improve on. The marketplace really pushes me to challenge myself in ways I would have never bothered to work on if I didn't have to work for my livelihood. Even if I don't always enjoy interactions with others, I still have to improve on my interpersonal skills because tact and social sensitivity is needed to get work done. I NEED good interpersonal skills, which I know will only grow if I interact with more people. Yep and so I am trying to keep in touch with friends. Yeah, and keeping in touch requires money too. I exceeded my SMS limit last month by 140 SMSes lor! My phone bill shot to $30. Hmm. I'm still monitoring the situation...if my usage for the next few months goes up by a lot then maybe I will switch to iOne plus plan. I'm using Classic plan now.

Can't wait for payday. My bank account has less than $100 inside now. Lol. If money still doesn't come...my gosh, then I'll have to eat wind lor. Haha. Just kidding. God will provide! No worries. :) One thing I realised over the course of work: I like working at Raffles Place. No, I don't enjoy the how crowded it usually is but there is just something special about the place. It feels "alive", like it has a pulse of its own. I enjoy looking at the Singapore River and will usually pop by to enjoy the view when I'm free. The pigeons that walk around the riverside really entertain me. Their heads bob with every step they take and I find that quite fascinating to watch. Okay, am I being weird? Haha. Like I have nothing to do than to watch pigeons bobbing their heads by the riverside. I feel strange typing this. Haha. I wonder if this is where God wants me to be for the long-term, working within the financial hub of Singapore...but oh well, I'll know when the time comes.

Off-topic: I am very into Cantonese songs now. :D

I gotta get ready for bed soon. Have to choose the clothes to wear tomorrow. Another work week about the begin. Man, the weekends past really fast.

Have a fantastic week ahead everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment