Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Evil greed

Watched Capitalism: a love story yesterday night and I am absolutely disgusted by the greed and corruption within the financial industry. There were some shocking revelations about Citigroup and what some of their top people really think about the economy and that they should focus and serve only the rich since they are the ones who are powering growth within the economy. In other words, the rest of the population can be disregarded because they is only the rich and the poor- no middle class. Serving the rich will bring in profits, which makes perfect sense to a profit-motivated organisation. The financial industry is so dark, maybe darker than other industries, because of the lucrative rewards involved. Everyone knows how much one can make at the top of a banking sales position. Being filthy rich allows the purchase of "happiness", the privilege of tasting every kinds of pleasure, as long they can be bought. And really, money CAN buy many things. The ridiculously large bonuses that bank CEOs get really don't make any sense, yet there is no way around it. Reason being banks have to pay good money to retain monetary rewards driven talent who can make more money for them. No sky-high salary and bonus, no shrewd banker, no profit for company, share price drops, company value falls, employees retrenched to cut cost, unemployment rises, aggregate demand falls, blah blah blah. Never-mind the financial bailout for troubled banks came at the expense of the taxpayers, majority of which are just hard working citizens who are trying to upkeep a decent lifestyle. This is the reality in a capitalistic and greedy world because the rich won't share their wealth with the poor. Damn gross.

Yes, I know I am working in a bank now. Haha. Banks have become such a integral part of our lives that I can't see society functioning without them. Banks cannot afford to fail. The economies will go haywire and...it'll be disastrous for everyone. Aiyoh, don't know lah. The institutions in themselves are fine, it's human greed that is evil.
==

On a lighter note, I found my favourite Jelly Tots in NTUC today! YES! I've been looking for them since like forever so I'm so so so happy that I finally found them today! :) Bought it even even tho' it cost me $5.90 (v. expensive for candy lor).


My treasured find! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment