There was a heated argument in office today. It's quite dramatic, imo. I haven't actually seen fellow colleagues out-rightly shouting at one another, moreover one between a local and a foreigner, until today. Those involved belonged to the SAME company. Remember that I am not working with the bank people, instead I work with the vendors so my colleagues come from different companies. Many of my colleagues flew in from Switzerland, which is where their companies are based in. The rest are people who work in the local offices of these companies. One of the Swiss guys, whom I heard is not exactly easy to get along with, shouted at a local guy to not go for lunch just as the local guy was making his way out the room. Swiss guy's tone wasn't very friendly so the local guy got pissed. Local guy then threw his stuff down on the table and expressed his anger at being shouted at. "If you can't solve it then just leave it! I don't work for you so don't shout at me! " Silence...the office went completely quiet.
After local guy checked the information on his computer, he shouted the f-word before making his way out of office saying the problem cannot be solved. Wow. I'm sorry, I haven't seen such anger in the workplace before. I'm still a young and innocent little girl who just started working. The local guy always appear so friendly and easy-going so I was kinda shocked that he could show such explosive anger towards an expat. There are different cliques even within the same company. The "ang mohs" vs the locals. The lady who sits a seat away from me told me she doesn't mingle with the ang mohs and would rather tapao then to eat with them. The thing is...I sit among the locals and talk to them more but my direct supervisor (aka my xiao lao ban) is an ang moh and she is the one assigning me work to do. I'm threading on a really thin line now. I could be labelled a spy or something by either group but whatever, I treat everyone neutrally. I don't want to get involved in their crap and really, why should I when I am not even working for their company. Essentially, I am working for their client, aka the bank. My big boss (aka bank boss) has greater "power" and more say than them so I've got pretty strong backing, I'd say.
Anyways, I was let off work 1 hour earlier today by the Swiss lady (xiao lao ban) today. She had no more work for me so she said I could leave earlier. We usually communicate via email so yeah there is an electronic trail which can serve as "evidence". No need to worry that the bank side will fault me. I was hired to help out the vendors anyway so if they say I could leave, I should. It's dumb not to, especially when there is no more work to do. Of 'cos I often wonder what the heck I am doing and whether I am given work that really contributes to the project. Some of the stuff I'm doing seem so silly and insignificant (e.g. copy and paste info from one document to another)...but these days I'm learning to brush those thoughts away. Silly tasks then silly tasks lor. I've already feedback to my big boss once and if this is how it is then ok, I'll just do it. I'm obviously overpaid for the stuff I'm doing so thank God. It's a very relaxed position. :)
I really hope my next job will be one that is more challenging and satisfying. I will probably start exploring my options soon...when my 3 month bond end. Oh wait, my bond says 90 working days, which makes it longer than 3 months! Whatever lah. I'll probably commit right to the completion of the project but will definitely be looking out for other positions before that.
I can't complain 'cos Swiss lady is pretty nice to me. Yeah, so is my other Swiss boss. He's really nice to me. The locals, well, they are easily to talk to. I don't know. When I do eat with my colleagues, it is with the locals. Are the locals more bitchy? Maybe. I don't know. I am quite wary of gossipy people though. People who keep bitching about others are definitely people you should watch out for. They can gossip about others...they can also gossip about you. I find it very important to listen to gossip. Don't have to join in, but it is very useful to be aware. I don't tend to make conclusions based on gossips 'cos there are some malicious and false ones that can cloud one's view. Humans are not that easy to classify. There are so many sides to us so it is unfair to label somebody quickly based on some observations or juicy news said by others. What I trust is what I've experienced and seen for myself, but even then, we have to take the prevailing circumstance into consideration. The person in question may have reacted in that manner only because he or she was placed in that particular situation and was experiencing some stress from external factors. It is hard to tell how a person really is from just one incident. Social Psychology has really broaden my mind. I am able to see people from different perspectives now.
I've to have dinner now. I'll continue again!
No comments:
Post a Comment