Monday, August 29, 2011

Yes...and so what?

Tony Tan (TT) is our new president! Our 7th President. Am I pleased? Yes, I'd say so. I voted for him after all (was deciding between Tan Cheng Bock and him). I know most of my peers didn't. I'm not pro or anti PAP but I agreed with some of his views & I voted with my head. There is gonna be a big economic crisis coming along...so we really need a wise and competent leader. A president with a "steady hand" is good for me...PAP-linked or not, I don't care. I believe that TT will be able to rise up to the occasion and be the president that serves the people. Okay, do I sound like I've been brain-washed? HAHAH. Don't forget I'm living in an opposition ward and I just voted for the opposition in the GE a few months back. I'm really not pro-any party but I am really sick of the endless PAP-bashing. Can't we take a step back and see how we prospered under PAP's rule? All the youngsters are bashing PAP non-stop, insulting our leaders and finding fault with whatever they say or do. In my sister's words, they are like Taliban- extremists! It's not that PAP has done everything right but there is no perfect govt and I think compared to many governments around the world, they have done pretty well. As an island-nation, Singapore had NO REASON to exist, let alone grow so prosperous, but we have been so so so blessed because we had leaders with foresight.  

Constructive criticism is ok but senseless bashing is not. The Taliban sentiments online really turns me off. Some are people who had fallen through the cracks and have genuine grievances, ok; but I can say that most are just a ungrateful bunch of Singaporeans who know how to complain/ insult/ bash. Ugh. The kind who will vote for opposition just to oppose. Nevermind if the opposition is rubbish, will still vote for them 'cos "PAP sucks". This is our country's future at stake leh!

The Talibans were upset that only 6 seats went to opposition, they want more than half of the seats to fall to opposition. Can you imagine how unstable our country would become should that had happen??? With the calibre of most of those in opposition leading the country? How disastrous would that be??? 6 seats is just about right for me. I wouldn't want a sudden change in the leadership of the country because we are still not prepared for this kind of change & it will affect our economy adversely, for sure. Do the Talibans care??? NO. They naively think that life will immediately be better if PAP is overthrown by the opposition. Our political landscape would become soooo unstable that it would affect our economy ok & that is NO good. Super angry lah. Can't they think long-term. We want a stronger opposition, ok...but that has to come gradually because anything faster, it will de-stabilise our economy & we need more wise people with heart for the people to join the opposition first (so glad Chen Show Mao won) before we even think of "forming a govt".

This is just my thoughts la...very turn off by the Taliban postings online. You can say I'm a "moderate" voter who will deliberate before I vote. I wouldn't mind if TCB had won 'cos I like him too but in the end, I decided to go with TT instead. TSJ is too aggressive and anti-PAP (the way he speaks remind me of the Talibans) for my liking. TKL, not president material, imo.

So yeah, I'll say it here...TT has my support.

No comments:

Post a Comment