I had rather intense debate with my aunt this afternoon over the possibility of opposition winninng over ALjunied. Personally, I am leaning more towards the WP winning Aljunied 'cos there is Low Thia Khiang, whom I think has done a good job at Hougang. The rubbish don't pile up to 3 storeys high as PAP claims. The estates are rather clean, at least those that I pass by rather frequently that belong to Hougang SMC). I love Hougang and I find it very unfair that just because majority of the people staying here decided to vote for opposition, they are placed at a disadvantage when it comes to the building of sheltered walkways, lift upgrading, etc. We are always placed last on the list even tho' it is quite apparent that the ageing flats here are in more urgent need of upgrading. I feel so bad for the elderly who stay here. They have sacrificed so much for the good of Singapore by voting at least one opposition MP into Parliament for the past 20 years. Why has it got to be this way? Why do the citizens who stay in Hougang have to be penalised because PAP didn't win this seat? It's not like the residents of Hougang don't pay taxes lor. We pay taxes so that other residents in the country (minus Potong Pasir) can enjoy the upgrading of their neighbourhood facilities.
I feel strongly about this because my place is just in between Hougang SMC and Aljunied GRC. How many times have I seen the flats over at Aljunied getting upgraded OVER AND OVER again. & Sometimes the upgrades are superficial! The existing facilities seemed to work just fine but they still tore them down to re-build again and again. That's what I noticed lah, whenever I walk home from the bus stops over at Aljunied's side. The common HDB lights are brighter over at Aljunied. Hougang SMC...well, we don't get so much upgrades but the facilities are considerably well-maintained. & I believe some of HOugang has been absorbed into Aljunied. Like Kovan should actually be considered part of Hougang. In fact, the small street just outside Heartland Mall is called Hougang Street 21. There used to be another bus interchange there called Hougang South. Kovan was considered a part of Hougang...until the GRC thing came up and somehow Hougang got split into 2 or something. How come part of Hougang ended up in Aljunied GRC, I also dunno. DUnno how the boundaries are decided. The GRC system can be quite unfair (this I agree).
I stayed in Hougang like practically all my life and I'm seen the changes happened in this neighbourhood. From no MRT to the building of the NEL line. From no malls to the building of Hougang Plaza and subsequently the building of Hougang Mall. From only a bus interchange in Hougang South to serve the HOugang residents (see above) to the construction of Hougang Central INterchange. Hougang Central had nothing then. There was no Hougang Central. Wet market had to walk super far to HOugang Ave 7. Used to look forward to drinking the soya milk drink bought from there. Gosh, I have so many fond memories of Hougang.
This post helps me reminiscence the past and is also serves as one of my closing notes of my stay in Hougang (I'm moving in the later half of this year to a PAP ward). Hougang will always have a special place in my heart. It's where I spent my childhood and grew up in. Opposition, so what? Still Singaporean!
BAck to the debate with my Aunt. Well, I agree with her that there is a prevalent spirit of grumbling and complaining among the younger Singaporeans. To say that the PAP has not done much for Singapore is being ungrateful. PAP helped mould this nation, there is no doubt about that. Many youngsters only know how to complaint and complaint about how PAP has been a bad government. I think PAP isn't that bad a government- they are considered very good compared to other inept governments around the world. & I'd honestly be very worried if PAP collapses and Opposition takes over as government during this year's election. It'll be super scary can?
That being said, I still hope that WP will win Aljunied GRC. My aunt, mum and other relatives are "very worried" that WP will win Aljunied, but I think we should give the Opposition a chance. There is one MP (my ex-MP), one NCMP, one brilliant guy who has a heart to serve Singaporeans (c'mon, Chen Show Mao certainly didn't have join politics or the opposition party to live a comfortable life- not that he will cos he chose to join opposition and not PAP. This has to be passion!). He seems quite credible and I would give him a chance). The other 2 who make up the team seem like sincere people who would like to contribute to the nation as well. This is a pretty good team, IMO & yes, I would give them a chance. I hope more can be done for the poor, in particular. We have one of the widest income gaps in the world, it's disgusting. & I don't know why we are so stingy to the poor. It's not that the elderly are lazy and don't want to work. They are old and those menial tasks are tough for them! & with all the cheap foreign workers flooding into our nations...it's even more difficult to find work. I hope something will be done regarding the influx of foreign workers as well. There must be a better way to grow the nation than to keep bringing in foreign talents right? I don't know la.
We'll see how it goes! Exciting contest!
No comments:
Post a Comment